Liking and disliking : gustar


A. Gustar is used 'back-to-front', with the indirect object pronoun to show who is doing th eliking (or disliking); It is used in the third person singular(gusta) if one thing is liked,or inthe third person plural(gustan) if more than one thing is liked. In other words,the thing(s) being liked are the subject of the verb.

(no) me gusta                (no) me gustan       ; I like
       te gusta                         te gustan         ; You like
       le gusta                          le gustan         ; S/he likes
       nos gusta                       nos gustan      ; We like
       os gusta                         os gustan        ; You(plural) like
       les gusta                        les gustan        ; They like

Les gusta el vino.   They like the wine(lit. to them is pleasing the wine.)
Les gustan las patatas.      They like the potatoes(lit. to them are pleasing the potatoes)


B. The definite article is used to show general likes or dislikes.
    Me gusta el queso.        I like cheese.


C. If what you like or dislike is a verb, or verbs, the singular gusta is used.
    Me gusta bailar y cantar.     I like singing an dancing.


D. If a name or a particular person or persons are referred to, they are introduced with a.
    A Juan le gusta el cine.    John likes cinema.
    A Julia no le gustan las naranjas.    Julia doesn't like oranges.
    A las chicas les gusta esta tienda.     Girls like this shop.


E. The personal indirect object pronouns can be intensified for clarity or emphasis by adding the disjunctive pronouns with a.
 A mí me gusta bailar, pero a ti no te gusta.
 I like dancing, but you don't(lit. To me, I like dancing, but to you don't like)
*Can only use one personal pronoun in front of gustar.


F. Since gustar means to be pleasing, any other personal verb ending needs care.
 Me gustas    I fancy you(lit. you are pleasing to me)

댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

목표설정이론

솔선을 수범하다.

Cominations of adjectives and nouns, 스페인어의 형용사 명사결합